Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Warning: Mothers and practical jokes don't always mix

Someday he'll learn it's never a good idea to poke at a sick mother bear; but for the time being our little teenage cub thinks he's pretty funny.
Of coruse since he's really not that much different than I was at the same age, I had to chuckle at my son's silly antics earlier this evening.
Here's what happened:


A while ago I in my office working when I stopped to grab a snack. Before I got to the bottom of the stairs I could hear my wife, who's been sick with a nasty head cold for a few days now, yelling about something.
"How many times have I told you, 'Check your pockets!'" she was saying. "Great! That's $200 down the drain."
Naturally, I hurried up the stairs to see what was going on. That's when I saw Mr. Smarty Pants standing next to the washing machine, weaing a big grin on his face while holding the iPod he just got for Christmas.
"I was just kidding, mom," he said with a cheeky chuckle.
Being a mom in an already cranky mood thanks to that cold, she wasn't convinced.
"Check and see if it's wet," she said to me.
I checked and, sure enough, it was as dry as our baby boy's sense of humor.
"See, I was only kidding," he said to me, shrugging his shoulders. Then he gave me a look saying, "I really got her good with that one, didn't I dad?"
The turth is, he did. And, yes, it was a pretty good practical joke, one I'm sure I would have tried at his age.
Inside, I was smiling. Outside, I played the responsible father and informed him it wasn't very nice to tease his mother, especially when she isn't feeling well.
Over the years I've learned the bond between father and son is often fun and exciting, like a raging river. Of course I've also learned the bond between a mother and son is often deep and reliable, like a nice quiet fishing pond.
I hope my son never forgets who he is; I hope he never loses that wry sense of humor. I figure he'll need as he gets older and realizes this harsh reality: Sometimes mothers (and wives) aren't in the mood for practical jokes.

No comments: