Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Welcome to the Father of Twins Club

One of the last things I want to do here in my blog is mix my work life with my real life. Admittedly, my work life as a sportswriter is a lot of fun and I know a great many people who'd love to have my job. However, I've made a conscious effort to keep that part of my life out of my blog, partly because I enjoy using this place to write about the ups and downs of being a middle-aged husband, father, son, brother and friend. Also, it's not appropriate for me to share information I gather at work here in my personal blog.
Okay, we're clear on all that, right?


Earlier today, while on assignment for work, I learned that Los Angeles Lakers basketball player Jason Kapono just became a father of twin girls. While I don't know Jason personally, I'm quite happy for him, No. 1 because fatherhood is really cool and I'm glad he gets to experience it; and No. 2 because he's now in what I like to call the Father of Twins Club.
I'm in that club myself, so I'm more than happy to welcome Jason to the group.
Me and the twins a few years ago, just before sending them off with their prom dates.

These days, having twins is not nearly as unique as it used to be. I recently read where the annual number of twin births in the United States has doubled over the past 30 years, so it's plain to see there's no shortage of members in the Father of Twins Club.
Having twins may not be as unique as it used to be, but it's still an awesome experience.
My twins are no longer babies. In fact, they're not even teenagers anymore. They're basically grown-ups. Of course it doesn't matter how old they get, they'll always be my children and I'll always feel a sense of responsibility to keep them safe and happy (the same goes for their brothers, one older and one younger).
Look, I'm not here to brag, nor do I wish to bore anyone with every little detail of my life. But when I hear about someone having twins, I can't help but smile. It really is a special experience.
I said I didn't want to bore you with mundane details, but let me share just one story about being in the Father of Twins Club.
Many years ago, when my twins were about to start kindergarten, I was able to witness the incredible bond twins share.
I still remember the morning I took them to school for the first time. The excitement of starting a new adventure was a bit overwhelming and they were understandably nervous. Consequentially, they weren't getting along too well as my wife and I prepared them for their big day. In fact, by the time we arrived at school they were barely speaking to each other.
And then something amazing happened. As they walked down the hall a few steps ahead of me, they instinctively reached for the other's hand. Tears filled my eyes as I watched them hold hands without saying a word. Honestly, it was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen in my life.
So, as I carefully tried to avoid mixing my work life with my personal life, let me just say I'm happy for new Father of Twins Club member Jason Kapono of the Los Angeles Lakers. Welcome aboard, you're in for a treat.

1 comment: