Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Bed-making: Those who do and those who don't

The way I see it, there are pretty much just two kinds of people in the world: those who make their beds and those who don't.
Okay. That was a horrible generalization. Sorry.
Surely there are people in this world who have more important things to do than make their bed every morning. I mean, there's also doing the dishes, right?
Okay. Enough with the clowning around.
While I know bed-making isn't the most important thing in the world, I do think there may be some truth in my initial statement up there. After all, there doesn't appear to be a lot of middle ground ... at least not from what I've been able to gather.
It's one of those things where, it's either a priority or it's not.
For me, it is. For my wife, it's not.
(My unmade bed this morning)

Now, I'm not saying she wouldn't make the bed if I wasn't around; I'm just saying it wouldn't be on the top of her to-do list every morning ... or afternoon ... or evening.

Sheets pulled tight? Pillows fluffed up? Comforter nice and smooth? To her, those things aren't that big a deal. After all, she says, "They're just gonna get messed up again."
There's truth in what she says. But then again, there's something to be said for order.
(Ahh, much better now ...)

For me, making the bed is usually one of the first things I do in the mornng. It's almost like it a mental thumbs-up from my brain to the rest of my body saying, "Okay, time to start your day."
Plus, for me there's the added benefit of climbing into a neat bed later that night. I like those tightly-pulled sheets and the smooth comforter. Those things all help me sleep better.
(Don't tell anyone this, but if for some reason the bed doesn't get made all day, I've been known to make it right before bedtime.) 
Bottom line: I guess some people need that to get going in the morning and, obviously, some don't.
Like I said, two kinds of people ... 

No comments: