Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It keeps getting colder while I keep getting older

Ah yes, another sign of age. How exciting!
Because I grew up in Texas, where the summertime humidity hangs in the air like a thick, invisible fog, I never had too much trouble getting used to the cold when I went to college in Idaho. From there I lived in Vancouver, Canada for a time and became even more accustom to cold weather.
In fact, I actually began to enjoy it. I don't know, it just felt ... romantic. Seeing the snow and feeling the cold, frosty air was like living in a Christmas song, like each new snowy day was like "the most wonderful time of the year."
Even after getting married and settling down in Utah, I never really minded that cold air, especially compared to that brutal, dry summer heat that practically buckled your knees just walking out the door to go get the mail.


My wife and I are very different from each other and we'd often debate the merits of cold weather vs. hot. I'd always say, "At least when it's cold you can bundle up and eventually get warm. When it's 97 degrees at night in the middle of August, there's not a whole lot you can do about it."
Even now I think that's some pretty air-tight logic. However, I'm here to tell you, I no longer find cold weather romantic or charming or even interesting. Now it's just painful.
As with so many other changes to my body and mind, I blame advancing middle age.
Years ago I used to hear old dudes complain about the changing weather and how the cold made their tired old bones creaky and their joints stiff and sore. Naturally, I rolled my eyes and wrote their complaints off to the ramblings of old men.
Well, save me a bowl of soup and a seat in the steam room, fellas, because I'm on your side now. My goodness, that cold weather really does do a number on every joint, muscle and bone in your body.
To make matters worse, I've lost 40-50 pounds in the past year and while I like what it's done for my view of the bathroom scale, I feel like I've lost a whole lot of insulation. Consequentially, I feel like the cold and wind goes right through me.
Today my wife and I went to lunch together, which of course is always a nice treat. The problem was, as I walked the five or six steps from our house to the car I felt like ... like ... like moving to Florida or Arizona or anywhere else old guys congregate.
Even worse, I looked at my watch, saw it was already 1:30 in the afternoon and thought, "Why are we going to lunch now? Dinner starts at 4."
Ah yes, the signs of growing older!

No comments: