Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

From vending machines to the vegetable aisle

Broccoli and steel-cut oatmeal.
Green beans, apples and whole-grain bread.
No, this is not a grocery list. It's how I eat now. And, yes, when I used the word "now" at the end of that last sentence I was implying a change ... a huge change, actually.
Like so many men and boys across America, I grew up eating junk food: fast food, candy bars, chips and soda. If you could get it from a drive-thru, a vending machine or a convenience store, it was part of my regular diet. Not only that, I'd pretty much navigated my way through life without eating anything I wasn't completely sure of. If it looked "gross" to me or if I just assumed I wouldn't like it, I didn't eat it.


As a kid, I can remember my mother at least attempting to get me to eat something new. But I was just strong-willed enough to dig in my heels and say, "No!" Even worse, this childish behavior sent a message that her efforts to teach me good eating habits weren't worth the trouble. Eventually, she gave up trying. 
Not exactly a flattering picture of me.
Ah, but a funny thing happened to me on the way to becoming a statistic.
Last year I learned I was a Type 2 diabetic.
There is a lot more to this story, and in the future I'll share more of it. But the important thing here is, I was told in no uncertain terms that I needed to start eating better and that if I didn't, I was in for a lifetime of pain and physical discomfort.
Look, I'm no genius. But I'm coachable. My doctor had me meet with a nutritionist, who gave me a game plan that included eating good, healthy foods. Better still, the plan left no room for junk food. Sugars were pretty much off limits, as were drive-thrus and convenience stores.
How come I'm not smiling here? I feel so much better inside.
I followed the plan and fortunately, I saw immediate results. The pain I felt diminished considerably and I began to feel better. Soon the weight began to come off, I'm controlling my diabetes and now, a year later, I'm nearly 50 pounds lighter.
The weight loss has been gratifying and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it when friends approach me and say, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight."
But the thing I'm most happy about is my new approach to food. Amazingly, I've come 180 degrees from where I'd always been. Vegetables, fruits and whole grains don't freak me out anymore. In fact, I've learned to love them. There's basically nothing I won't at least try and I'm proud to say that weekly shopping list has become a lot more interesting.

No comments: